Add a Diversion Structure
The following approach assumes that the added diversion structure is a “future” structure and not an actual diversion with a valid model identifier (WDID) in HydroBase. If the added structure is in HydroBase, create the input files without set commands first and identify missing information prior to setting input data.
- Open the network (*.net) in StateDMI, navigate to the appropriate location, and right-click to Add an Upstream Location.
Enter the appropriate information and designate the structure type as either diversion (D) or diversion/well (DW).
- Note that if the structure type is designated as DW, appropriate well files must be included in the scenario.
- Note if a diversion structure is added as a headwater node, it must be made a baseflow node and have a natural flow distribution.
- Recreate the river network file (*.rin) to reflect the additional structure.
- Add the structure to the diversion station file (*.dds) using the StateDMI commands:
- Set the structure capacity in CFS.
- Set the structure system efficiency (annual or monthly efficiency values).
- Set the demand and use types (see Section 4 for more discussion).
- Set the return flow locations and patterns; must reference the delay patterns provided in the delay file (*.dly or *.urm).
- Add water rights to the diversion right file (*.ddr) using the StateDMI commands:
- Set the water right ID as the structure ID with a numeric suffix for each right.
- Set the water right priority (administration number) and amount in CFS.
- Add the structure’s demand to the direct flow demand file (*.ddm) using the StateDMI commands.
- Set the monthly demand or read in an external StateMod formatted file (*.stm) with the demand.
- Confirm the revised diversion files (*.dds, *.ddr, *.ddm) are reflected in the response file (*.rsp).
- Simulate the model.
- Review the direct diversion summary output file (*.xdd) and the structure summary output file (*.xss) for output information on the new diversion structure.